Monday, October 25, 2010

October 23, 2010

Five things I am thankful for TODAY:

1) Beautiful Fall scenery at the trout farm. The colors were so vibrant and the rain completely enhanced that! It was a joy to be outdoors, even though it was pouring rain. We were protected from the wetness by a bowery, so we could thoroughly enjoy the hot cocoa and conversation.

Watching the intense colors and being thankful for their beauty got me thinking about the changing of seasons. There are so many lessons Heavenly Father teaches us in just the changes and contrasts. I can think of all sorts of analogies ranging from the pride cycle, to death, to spiritual progression and putting off the natural man. The most interesting thing about the Autumn season is how much intense beauty there is in the dying of the foliage. We usually don't associate the word "beauty" with death or dying yet many of us describe the changing leaves this time of year as beautiful... and isn't interesting that Halloween is this time of year, associating death with ugliness and scary things? YET, because we can all are drawn to the changing colors and joys of nature this time of year, don't you think He is trying to show us something, teach us something about death, in all it's forms? What is it teaching you?

2) Bella's Mexican Grill. Joe Cottam is one amazing person. He and his dad run the show and though I don't know many details, I am thoroughly impressed with the way they run their business. First, their food is DELICIOUS and second, they donate as much as they possibly can to the community. I see them everywhere! And it's not just a promoting their business kind of thing... they want to serve and you can truly sense that. I don't think I've ever thought of a food establishment as a service, but Bella's is. I encourage anyone who reads this (all two of you), to frequent Joe's place as often as you can.

3) All the candidates and elected officials who participated in our "Meet the Candidate" night. Lt. Governor Bell, Congressman Rob Bishop, Kerry Gibson (candidate for Weber County Commission), Terry Thompson (candidate for Weber County Sheriff), Ricky Hatch (candidate for Weber County Clerk/Auditor) braved the weather and had a great time. I, unfortunately, didn't get to hear anything they had to say in that my self-assigned station was at the entrance keeping track of the attendance, but I am thankful they came to support Ryan and to meet the good people of our district.

4) The good people of our district, friends and family who also braved the weather. We had over 125 people in attendance. Imagine what would have happened if the weather cooperated. I think we are going to make this an annual thing. It's just too much fun and just too beautiful to pass that up!

5) My amazing husband. There just aren't words to describe his dedication and talents. I am amazed daily by what he does. He is balancing 10-20 hard things every minute of every day. The only time he rests, is when he sleeps...and those hours seem to be less and less these days. It has been a joy to watch him blossom in his different roles. He is a smart man, a logical man, a compassionate man and it is fun to see those qualities enhanced and used in such a beautiful manner. As his wife, I get to see first-hand how he deliberates over things, how he worries and prays and ponders what it is he should do... not just with politics, but in all aspects of life. It is truly an honor to be his wife. Many times I stand back in awe...I feel like I am one of his groupies! He would be embarrassed by all this, so I will conclude. BUT let it be known to all of internet-land and the blogging world, that I think my intelligent, passionate, loving, witty, handsome, spiritual giant of a man is the best thing that ever could have happened to me!

What five things are YOU thankful for TODAY?

No comments: