Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Surgery

So here I sit in an empty house. My children have been graciously cared for my friends and family while I spent the better part of yesterday in doctor's appointments and the E.R. with Superman. (apparently he has had some cryptonite in his pocket)!

Finally at 10:30 last night it was concluded that he would be having his gall bladder removed today on an urgent basis.

Wow... nothing like a healthy (or rather unhealthy) slap in the face to bring it all into perspective!

There are several things I learned yesterday. I will only hit on the highlights:
1) I love my Superman and hate to see him so weak, pale, and in pain.

2) It empowers me to care for him. He is so strong and capable that many times I back away from doing that knowing he is amply able and more than willing to care for himself. Being in a position where I feel he needs me is invigorating!

3) While I am grateful for the care my husband is receiving, the healthcare system is messed up! Just ask the E.R. nurses who kept reminding Superman what he needs to change while in the Legislature!

4) Our friends and family are willing to drop everything to care for us! We interrupted two FHEs and a 55th birthday celebration with all this and yet these wonderful people were willing to rescue us with time and care! Even Gma K helped by running over and locking up the house after we ran out in all the madness forgetting to do so.

5) Not eating for 15 hours, juggling the kids, dropping off kids, farming out kids, caring for hubby, calling doctors, running all over the hospital, checking back and forth with doctors and radiologists and back again, sitting in an uncomfortable E.R. for three hours, etc. etc. etc. results in a mightly powerful headache by the end of the day. Boy am I grateful for Extra-Strength Tylenol and sleep!

6) I, once again, appreciate priesthood blessings and those worthy to give them.

7) I CAN DO HARD THINGS (that one's for you Heather)!

Thanks to everyone who has helped us! I know there are many, much harder health problems that other families have to deal with, and I am thankful this particular problem is easily resolved (now that we know what the problem really is)!

What a day we live in with this modern medicine and procedures. Though seemingly archaic and frustrating at times, we are truly blessed to live in this day and age! I'll keep you updated on his status...

11 comments:

DreamPacker said...

Prayers and healing blessings are with you all.

Paparazzi Boutique said...

Hey you....we are in the same town or area. If you need a place to drop the kids, just holler. We're always looking for new playmates. Seriously....I'm working during the day, but if you have an evening you need some reprieve...just let me know (djevansfamily@msn.com). We're in the phonebook.

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

Sounds crazy!! I'm hoping for a quick and awesome recovery for you guys. I mean, having 3 kids, and normal life is hard, but add sickness, and it's just crazy! Hope he gets well as fast as possible :)

The Smiths said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys!! Wish him luck for us!

Katie said...

I'm sorry you guys are having such a rough time. I hope everything is better soon!

Julie said...

You are definetly Wonder Woman! I hope he gets better really soon!

Joy said...

Sorry I kind of dissapeared. Tuesday afternoon the flu hit me with a vengence. Since I haven't had the flu for a few years it decided to make up for lost time and hit me hard. I've been in bed ever since Tuesday, and boy does my back hurt! So, sorry I haven't offered to help since.

The Ray Reader said...

Wow!! What a way to start the session huh, well I guess it is more like in the middle of the session huh. We miss you guys!! Love Ya

Adrienne said...

Holy Cow! Why didn't you tell me you were hungry, I would have picked up some food!

Really, if you need a break this weekend (or anytime), give me a call. The girls keep asking me when Reagan is going to come over and play!

Sabrina said...

Oooohhh... why the heck do we even have those nasty gallbaldders? A quick recovery wish to the ill...and a chocolate bar to you! Love ya!

Alisha said...

Hey! How is Ryan doing? It's been week, right? I hope all is well. Do you need anything? Love ya!