Friday, March 25, 2011

Five Things I'm Thankful For

Apparently, I fell off the "I'm Thankful" wagon. Here goes my attempt to get back on.

I am thankful for:

1) My hard-working, beaten down, criticized, abused and driven, amazing husband (caveat: I never said I wouldn't be grateful for the same thing more than once). All you nay-sayers, say what you want, but not here on MY blog. If you do, I am telling you right now that I will delete it.

While he, nor I, nor you are perfect, he tries so very hard to do what is right, especially in regards to the great stewardship of the thing called politics (Utah's 2011 Legislative session just convened). While I understand "the media" has a job to do, I have a severe dislike for the way they distort things and make mountains out of molehills (or absolutely nothing for that matter). My husband spends so much time defending the choices he makes, which I understand comes with politics, but the downright meanness kills me. If you have an issue with a decision he made, just talk to him. No need to name call, belittle, begrudge or even dislike. Just ask and find out why he made the choice he did. Don't assume he is corrupt. Don't assume he did it blindly or ignorantly. Don't assume he can't or won't do anything to improve a situation. Don't assume any politician is corrupt for that matter. I have met many good and amazing people/lifetime friends on both sides of the aisle in our journey with the Legislature. My view of politicians has done a complete turn-about. Most politicians are good and honorable men and women who have the desire to do what is best for the people, the state, the nation, etc. I am sickened (yep, that's right, literally sickened, if only you could see the lump in my throat and feel the pit in my stomach) by the assumptions people make about my husband, especially when 95% have NEVER BOTHERED TO SPEAK WITH HIM OR HAVE AN AMICABLE CONSERVATION WITH HIM.

I am married to my hero, and while I don't think it would help him any for me to try and defend him in the public arena, I will do it here, among friends and family who also know what a wonderful man he is.

So to all the nay-sayers: while he is taking higher ground and NOT pointing out the flaws in YOUR logic, or questioning YOUR sanity, or saying horrible, demeaning and untrue things about YOU, let ME take a stand to tell you all that YOU ARE WRONG in your assumptions and I, as one of his most ardent admirers, will continue to support and defend him regardless of your opinion. While I may not be able to do so with great words that move people to riot (as YOU do), I will do it nonetheless. Frankly, if you think you can do it better, go for it. I encourage anyone who believes they can make a real difference and have something to offer to their community, state, nation to run for office. I think everyone should be in political office (and wait tables) at some point in their lives. The world would be a lot more compassionate place to live. So there... (now I am stepping off my soapbox).

2) Princess dress-up clothes. My daughters and their friends are entertained for HOURS in Imagination Land while I get loads of other "stuff" done. I love to see my princesses twirl and flit and prance around my living room. In my heart, I wish I was as light and carefree and felt as beautiful and elegant as they do as they imagine. I remember that feeling and hope to find it in my own heart again one day.

3) The scriptures. I am currently reading "The Book of Mormon Made Easier" by David J. Ridges... and I love it. I keep pen, a scripture-reading journal and my marking pencil handy as I spend time studying, not just casually reading, The Book of Mormon. I know it's true and I love the power I feel in our home as I read and learn and apply.

4) Good books. I LOVE to read. I read when I shouldn't. I read when I need to be transcribing, or doing laundry, or making dinner or even sleeping (heaven forbid). I love to read (did I mention that). Even more, I love that I have to yell at my son to stop reading and get his shoes on because his ride for school will be here any minute!

5a) I LOVE DISNEYLAND! While I totally get that Main Street staying open a good 1/2 hour before the park does and remains open a full hour after the park closes is just to snag my money and make a profit (along with the astronomical price of admission), I would do it all again to see the looks on my kid's faces, to hear their spontaneous laughter and squeals of joy as as we played together! I hope they NEVER forget the fun we had there. I know I never will!

5b) Family vacations. It was so nice to take off the heavy coat of responsibility and just go play and make memories with my family (of course it made it that much harder to put the darn thing back on when we pulled into the driveway, sob, sob). This will definitely not be the last time we do that!

What five things are YOU thankful for?

1 comment:

Aim Aug said...

Amen, amen! Have you ever noticed that the people who complain the most are those who have never been to a city coucil, HOA, legislative session, etc. meeting? I think they just like to cause drama. Bravo to your hubbie for taking time away from his family to serve others. It is a huge sacrifice. And DL is my favorite too! Really is the happiest place on earth!